November 26, 2009

Bountiful Birds

When I lived in the country, I often saw numerous wild turkeys.  They would stroll by the window with their offspring (chicks?) and be essentially unfazed by the other critters - horses, cats.  In fact, I'm sure they came by often because of the cornfield behind the house and would pick through the droppings in the horse paddock, looking for undigested remnants of corn in the sweet feed in the horses' grain mix.  I also think one of the "guest" horses, a dear, half-blind, chestnut gelding that I'd known for years, was quite intrigued by, and enamored of, the turkeys.  So much so, that one day, when the snow had weakened the already questionable board fence, he leaned over it, straining, I'm sure, to see the turkeys that were wandering nearby, that the rail dropped on one end, leaving just enough from for him (and my own horse - his accomplice) to literally step out of the paddock and go for a bit of a jaunt.  Of course, they chose that moment because I had just left for the post office and wasn't there to interrupt their hiatus from confinement.  I blame the turkeys, but I still liked them.

I love scenic turkey images, especially vintage ones, perhaps because they remind me of that idyllic life on the farm (when I wasn't chasing after errant equines)...like this cheerful holiday post card I picked up on eBay a few years back. 




Have a very happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment