November 20, 2009

Bye Bye, Birdies

I sold the last of my turkey plates today.  I bought eight plates and a large matching platter at a country auction about 10 years ago, I think.  I used them on a few Thanksgivings, but, over time, I lost my fondness for them.  They were made in Japan and probably dated from the 1940s or 50s.  The pattern, by a maker known as L & M, is called Country Fair.  They have a kind of retro, rustic holiday charm about them.



But my taste really leans toward the more traditional decorative wares of England, with finer details and a more elegant, less casual appeal.

So I've sold the last of the plates on eBay, along with the platter and they're off to points across the USA - to Colorado and California, Ohio and Oklahoma - to grace other Thanksgiving and holiday tables.

They were fun while I had them, but I'll use the proceeds to purchase plates that I really love...maybe of different patterns, but I think there will be turkeys on all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment