December 30, 2009

'Tween Week: Mad for Plaid and Jazz!

It's 'Tween Week (I just made that up, actually) - the week between Christmas and New Year's...kind of like a "lost weekend" only it's a whole week!  I'm catching up on things after the run-up to Christmas, which wasn't too crazy, fortunately, and trying to organize (using the term quite loosely) for the shift to yet another year.  After a half-century plus of these things, I think I've got a fairly good handle on what the New Year holiday signifies - and what it doesn't.  Still, like Spring, it's a time for renewal and looking ahead - infinitely preferable to dwelling too much in the past.  Don't misunderstand, I do embrace the past, heritage, tradition, yada, yada, yada - some of it is quite lovely and gives a warm and fuzzy feeling - but some of it, well, not so much, so better to move on and - as with riding horses - it's important always to keep the momentum focused on moving forward.

In that vein, I'm having a little "Mad for Plaid" celebration here, as you can see from my new background.  I just stumbled across the most delightful blog, Designer Blogs (see their button to the right also).  These nice ladies do custom blog design, and although I'm not quite ready to go there full-throttle just yet, they also, very generously, offer a selection of free backgrounds.  I'm a bit of a plaid madwoman - love the stuff, especially traditional tartans - and was thrilled to see this very cheerful "Journal" design in their array of free backgrounds, so I've snatched it.  I especially like the color combination in this plaid, warm, toasty and cheerful, with a shot of light blue to accent.

To complete my somewhat limited blog renovation, I've changed up the music selection yet again.  I was pleased to come across one of my favorite newer holiday tunes, "Merry Christmas in Love," sung by the wonderful Renee Olstead.  This snazzy, jazzy charmer with a bit of a "big band" feel is the title tune from the 2005 holiday film, "Christmas in Love," with music by Tony Renis and lyrics by Marva Jan Morrow. 

Things that tremble, tingle
Like a bubble full of rainbows

Then crack
Sizzle, sing and whisper
When the shadows lace the moonlight with black
Things with silver lining
Sparkling tinsel twinkle, shining
With waving, whispy willow wings
That breathe a song of Christmas time dreams
Things that glow and glisten
Eyes of children when they listen then burst
Things are touched
The wistful wish of watching someone else succeed first
Days dingle, dangle
With a million parts I'm tangled to
Satin stars that spangle
And those Christmas bells that clangle
Our dreams
I'm dreaming of Christmas
To you, merry Christmas
Dreaming of a merry Christmas
To you, very merry Christmas
Galloping and gliding
Santa Claus his sleigh we're riding in
Bringing joyful tidings to the dreamers who are lying below
Talking of daydreams
Wishes and moonbeams
Let it tremble, tingle like a bubble full of rainbow and light
When you came to wake me and to wish me merry Christmas in love

Christmas in love
I can tremble tingle like a bubble full of rainbow and light
When you came to wake me and to wish me merry Christmas in love

Merry Christmas in love
 
A well-known young actress, I've enjoyed Renee's marvelous singing voice for several years now and it's very exciting to see her success continue to evolve.  (She was just 15 when she recorded this cheery holiday tune! Scary talented!)  I'm a bit late in sharing it on my playlist, but this tune seemed to capture the happy spirit of the holidays, so I included it here and will keep it on the player for a while.  The second selection, the standard, "A Sunday Kind of Love" is from Renee's debut CD of a few years ago.  (I also highly recommend her latest CD, "Skylark," produced by the legendary David Foster, who also produced "Merry Christmas in Love."  It's a treat! )  Being something of a connoisseur of what I like to call "great girl singers," having grown up hearing so many from the jazz/standards era through the pop/rock era, Renee struck me immediately as a very special young talent - the real deal, with some serious pipes!  Hope we'll all see much more of her, and hear her terrific voice for years to come.   Finally, I've included another selection from the legendary Al Jarreau - "Since I Fell for You" - a classic from the American Songbook sung by Al in his inimitable style.

With that, I'll work on more updates in the course of the next few days, but if I don't get back here before Friday, I thank you for reading and following my musings here, hope you all can take a moment to clink elegant crystal flutes filled to the brim with a fine, vintage bubbly, and offer my very best wishes for a very happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!

Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. Wow. You've been busy! It looks and sounds great. I will have to check out Designer Blogs. Thanks for sharing.

    Wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous new year!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new plaid. The colors are wonderful and some of my favorite. I hope your new year is filled with wonderful Happy Blessings. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Deborah and Marty - Happy New Year to you both, too. Not sure, as I go along, that there ever are more than just the three of us hanging out here periodically, but it's gratifying to know at least two other people actually do visit...lol! Gives one at least two reasons to carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, meant to add Sharon from Serendipity, too, as a visitor. Her blog (and her work) is fantastic - check it out if you haven't been there (I've got a link to her in my favorites list). She lives in my region and has been kind enough to comment here from time to time, as well, which I so appreciate. Hers was one of the first blogs I came across and helped inspire me to get mine going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...I was just reading the comments and your lament about only three readers, and was thinking "Hey! What about ME?!" And then you went and mentioned me in the next comment. You're very sweet. I'm glad I could be of some inspiration to SOMEbody! :) Oh, and I'm SURE there are more than four of us stopping by here to sit for a bit.

    I stopped over to wish you a very Happy New Year. I'm loving your new plaid background...it's very happy, and seems quite appropriate here on your Country Contemporary blog. If you ever want me to make you a custom header, let me know--I'd be happy to play around with Photoshop for you. I'm always looking for a new project! I'm FREE, too!

    ReplyDelete