February 3, 2010

What Are They Thinking?

Since my last post was rather a long one, I'm going to make this one fairly brief, but I need to address something that has been bothering me for a little while now. 

I've had an opportunity in the past few months to be exposed to an inordinate amount of daytime television programming.  It's not that I watch transfixed, it's just there in the background like a musical soundtrack (although, admittedly, not necessarily as soothing as music).  It's just my "companion" of sorts when I'm working at home, cooking, cleaning, etc.  I keep it turned on and around because, occasionally, there are interesting segments that grab my attention, whether on a morning news or talk program, a cooking show, a travel segment, a home renovation/redesign segment, etc.

Something I've noticed a quite bit lately is that the latter - the home renovation/redesign programs - are not always espousing what I, in my infinite wisdom and experience in life (well, okay, I'm in mid-life, so I wasn't born yesterday), would NOT characterize as great good design.  At first, I questioned my reaction to some of these programs' segments.  I thought, they're putting this stuff on TV, so maybe I'm missing something here or they look better in person, perhaps.  But, no, honestly, I think some of the "solutions" these program hosts and/or their design "experts" are promulgating - indeed, in some cases, inflicting on these unwitting (but obviously complicit) residents or homeowners - is just unbelievably bad design.

Most of my objections surround the programs that purport to create great spaces out of found and repurposed materials.  I think it's a wonderful concept, but, more often than not, I think the designs and the projects tackled are just plain lame and badly executed.  

One needn't look much farther than the options on the blogs one finds online (not mine, but some of the ones to which I've linked) to find far better concepts, workmanship and finished products.  What is with these TV folks? 

I'll confess, a lot of the design work that I find unattractive is often executed by much younger folk - 20- and 30-somethings.  They mean well, I'm sure, but it makes me wonder what the producers of these programs are thinking?  Indeed, I'm wondering what these designers are thinking.  It's as if they've just stepped out of design school, but still seem to have the work ethic of students and none of the, as they say on Project Runway about errant fashion designer candidates, "taste level." 

I'm inclined to say this stuff ain't brain surgery, but, in some ways, it is complex and shouldn't be diminished.  I can say some of this with impunity because, among other things, I was an art major in college, I've done work professionally that involves making aesthetic and space design decisions, and I'm also a licensed realtor.  I've seen and done a lot in the big world in which some of these types of projects exist.

Making hard choices about shape, size, line, color, texture and placement is not for the faint of heart and takes time and careful thought.  The problem seems to arise when the designer looks for the "quick-and-dirty" solution, as we used to say in the printing production business, one that doesn't cost much.  Unless it comes from a place of solid perspective and the ability to reference those efforts that have stood the test of time as good interior design, the results often look like...well...you know. 

What scares me most about this "instant" design approach that the television media, and some print media outlets, are foisting upon us is that unwitting viewers who ascribe some sense of intelligence and authority to this programming might be inclined to view it as worthy of emulation.  All I can say is, don't go there.  It's not necessarily, so don't try this at home!  If it looks cheap, it often is cheap (you've heard the one about the quack and the duck), so while it might appear to solve a problem expeditiously, it isn't necessarily good design, it's just a fast solution...and not usually a very good one.  If it is done on a "dime," look very closely and beware.  Good stuff visually (or functionally) isn't necessarily about cost, but there is an aesthetic price to pay if you assume anything can be done cheaply and it still will be viable visually.

As with everything you read in the newspapers, take what you see on some of the television design programs with many very large grains of salt and don't believe, just because they put it on the air, that it's worthy of design credibility.  As the Gershwins wrote in the song from "Porgy & Bess," it ain't necessarily so.

3 comments:

  1. I got here via Fairfield House.

    I loved this post - and giving it a great big AMEN!!!!
    Most of the shows are not worth watching anymore.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rhonda, and welcome! Appreciate your comment and your following here. I've returned the favor over at Blue Creek Home - lovely place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just catching up on some reading. We are snowed in - a few feet last weekend and predictions of 18 inches by the time the snow stops tonight. Anyway, I applaud this post. Whenever I see these shows I wonder 1) Am I the only one that does NOT like this and 2) No quality workmanship can be done in the alloted amount of time.
    Thank you for confirming it's not just me.

    Also, excited about your changes - blog design and life. I will be back to read your progress.

    - Deborah

    ReplyDelete