September 17, 2009

Tablescape Thursday: Homage to Oaks and Acorns

I know I promised I'd post photos of my newly planted chrysanthemums...well, better (a little bit) late than never.  Here's a bit of floral autumnal splendor, even if the leaves aren't yet keeping pace with the overzealous mums.
Then, of course, there are the acorns.   A veritable deluge of acorns!  I don't recall in the many years that I've lived in this home, both growing up here and returning to live here five years ago, that there were ever so many acorns.  The one, tall, handsome, red oak tree that towers over the house seems to have triple the usual amount.  The squirrels and chipmunks are in acorn heaven.  I am not.  Scattered on the driveway, just in front of the garage, they are like ball bearings underfoot.  And my car, which sits parked under the shade of the grand, old, acorn-spewing oak, is pelted routinely, as if the target in some sort of mysterious game for urban rodents. Five points for the hood, ten for the windshield, and jackpot if one hits the emblem just above the grill?  We are not amused.

So, in an effort to make peace with the oak, the acorns, and the cheeky resident rodents, I gathered up a few of the bombarded acorns and made them the focal point of my first (ever!) Tablescape Thursday.  With all due respect to Between Naps on the Porch (where I believe this delightful weekly trend either began or at least is well and truly celebrated), I give you my homage to oaks and acorns.

4 comments:

  1. A different take on Tablescape Thursday, but I do love your creativeness...

    Hope to see more in the future!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the plate ;-) ..we always have tons of acorns too. We have several different kinds of oak trees in our yard.---one is over our patio area, and we have to sit under our umbrella for protection. The squirrels dig holes all over our yard in zillions of places burying their horde. We let one of these acorns grow into a tree, and it has gotten quite big---it is into the electrical lines and they have to trim it! I love oak trees. Our town has lots of evergreen oaks and you can't cut one down without permission from the town. Several are in the middle the street! It is cool. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dishes!!! WE have TONS more nuts etc. this year too!!!! Please stop by and see my table too! Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have to dodge the acorns at my house as well. Much more fond of them on the tablescape than in the yard! Welcome to TT.

    ReplyDelete