December 23, 2009

A Little Touch of the Holiday Season

Most of the time, I write these posts on my laptop sitting at the kitchen table, looking out at my back yard.  I love being in the kitchen, the heart of the house for me and for my mother before me, sitting in this chair at the table, yet connected through the expanse of windows and door that provides a wide view of the outside world to the small bit of Nature just beyond them.

While the masthead above is of the snow-covered front of the house, most of the exterior photos in my earlier posts were taken of the lovely, big maple trees in the back yard as their colors changed from emerald green and deep, rich garnet red to the bright yellows and oranges of autumn.  Through these windows, I watch the squirrels, the birds and the resident chipmunk that routinely chirps loudly when ever he (or she - not sure) sees one of the cats inside the window, peering out menacingly at them, studying their potential prey (but never the twain shall meet, if I can help it).

Now that winter is here officially, the scene out back is looking pretty stark - a bit like an Andrew Wyeth landscape.  It has its own kind of appeal - revealing the time of rest and recovery of the trees and grass, preparing for the renewal of springtime to come - so I don't mind that it's fairly bleak, as winter is inclined to be. 

Yesterday, though, I decided a shot of bold color was needed to brighten the landscape and help celebrate the holiday season.  I haven't decorated much inside the house yet, so I'm not quite feeling the holiday spirit.  I grabbed one of the round, rich green wreaths that I store from season to season, attached a bright red bow, took it outside and placed it on the old green bench under one of the sugar maples that I can see readily from the warmth of my kitchen.

Today, as if on command, it began to snow...just a light dusting (I hope), adding even more holiday flavor to the scene.  I'm starting to get that holiday feeling.  Maybe now I'll pull a few more decorations out of storage and start decking the inside halls...just in time for Christmas.


5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful Christmas look...sure wish we had some of that beautiful WHITE stuff! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie,
    I knew we had much in common after reading your profile, but still thought I was the only one in the Land of Blog that hasn't decked the halls and every room between. Simplicity stirs my soul.
    Merry Christmas.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,

    I finally got a blog roll up on my site. As small as it is, you are listed.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Deborah. I'm still deciphering the technology of creating a button. It doesn't seem to be that hard, but a few failed attempts so far. Hopefully, I'll get it sorted soon and will make one available here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know if you need some help creating one.

    ReplyDelete