February 24, 2010

No Escape from Winter...Yet

While I sat happily in the Northeast, just beyond the clutches of the blizzards that bombarded the Mid-Atlantic region over the past few months, I suspected my relief would be fairly short-lived.  Yesterday, the hounds of Winter reminded us up here in the NY/New England region that they hadn't finished with us quite yet, and that persnickety ground-hog, Punxatawny Phil, was right on the money.  It's still snowing in my neck of the woods this morning (well, not quite woods, but close enough), but that should wind down soon. 

If it was December, I'd be celebrating the fact that we'd likely have a white Christmas.  Now that it's February, I'm celebrating that this accumulation of white stuff, while very pretty, isn't likely to last forever.  Spring is just around the corner...I think.

Here are a few views of the latest version of "winter white."
Knowing that snow was in the forecast, I went out into the back yard the other day and raked up the last of the residual leaves that had piled up in the corner against the fence.  Sitting in my kitchen, I saw them there as the last snows had melted away and they were bugging me.  So unkempt!  I pulled out a rake and ended up filling two brown leaf bags (for recycling) within a half-hour.  It felt so good to get out an do something physical in the crisp, fresh air.  It was fairly mild for mid-February - funny how high 30s can seem balmy!  I even found, as I progressed, I was too warm with a long-sleeved tee and a fleece jacket under my snow coat, so I took off the coat and enjoyed how my exertions had warmed up my muscles.

Because I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of Spring's first crocus, green grass, and warmer breezes, I added a new and optimistic tune to the playlist - perhaps it will hurry its arrival along.

Think Spring!

3 comments:

  1. I love the snowy pics, AND the music, Leslie. I wanted to let you know that I went over to Chatham to check out Classic Country a couple of weeks ago. My friend and I loved it, AND the little primitives shop across the street (whose name escapes me right now.) We also had a great lunch at the little yellow cafe down the road. I'm looking forward to going back! Thanks for the reccommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed, think spring. I hope you are surviving the winter of our discontent. I escaped winter if only briefly and posted about it this evening.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sharon and Deborah! Sharon - so glad you found Classic Country. Such a neat place, as are Chatham, Valatie and Kinderhook villages, in their own unique ways...all worth visits. Deborah - the snows are gone again here (yay!) and I heard a bird the other morning. Exhale.

    ReplyDelete