May 12, 2010

Just a Musical Note

I was saddened to learn of the passing this weekend of the marvelous singer and actress, Lena Horne, at 92.  She was a stunning woman and she was arguably the very first African-American woman to blaze a trail to real show business stardom in an otherwise all-white entertainment business in the U.S. in the mid-20th century.

My dad was a big fan of Ms. Horne's as a singer, so I grew up hearing her voice and seeing her on television appearances in the 1960s, knowing all the while that she was indeed a very special performer.  I have a lot to thank my dad for, especially with respect to influencing the musical tastes that were shaped in my childhood and which I still enjoy.  I've always been a fan of what I call "Great Girl Singers" and Lena Horne was among the first that I saw on television and heard and truly appreciated. 

I'm very sad that we've lost Ms. Horne, but I'm very glad I was introduced to her wonderful talents as a singer and actress as well as an activist for the rights of people of color when I was so young and impressionable.  As an homage to the immense talent that she embodied, I've added a tune by Ms. Horne to my playlist here for you to enjoy and to celebrate her long and well-lived life.  She will be much missed, but she always will be much admired.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your sweet comments :O) Enjoyed the music on your blog while I read about Contemporary Country ... VERY nice site :O) The plaid wallpaper is yummy to my eyes! I'm just learning about the blog world -- and having a blast networking with so many talented people. Keepin' it country ... Gina

    ReplyDelete