October 24, 2009

The falling leaves drift by my window...

Autumn leaves, a wonderful ballad originally written in 1945 by two Frenchmen, Joseph Kosma (music) and Jacques Prevert (lyrics), with English lyrics by the great Johnny Mercer.  My neighborhood is now a sea of golden, orange and russet leaves.  On my way home from errands this afternoon, I spotted this stand of maples that I pass routinely, but today they were so striking in their autumn attire, all golden with dark trunks soaked from the day's rains.



The falling leaves drift by my window,
The autumn leaves of red and gold.
I see your lips, the summer kisses,
The sun-burned hands I used to hold.

Since you went away, the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song,
But I'll miss you most of all, my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall.


My little neighborhood street kind of looks like a boulevard in Paris, doesn't it?  I love autumn.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks soooo much for sharing these beautiful pics...it still looks like late summer here on the gulf coast! Hope you have a FUN day!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete