January 30, 2020

A Month of Brilliant Reds


I've always loved Valentine's Day since the time we'd exchange cards as kids in school. I still love the home-made ones, as well as the store-bought versions, and particularly the incredibly elaborate, multi-layered faux Victorian ones that would gradually unfold into three-dimensional confections of romanticsm. So fun!

As I've noted here before, Valentine's Day provides those welcome pops of vibrant reds - the rich rubies, crimsons, cardinals, vermilions, cinnabars, cerises, and the innumerable variations that lean either toward dark pinks or purples - to break up the monochromatic tones of January and propel us into the literal heart (no pun intended) of mid-winter. The photo above is an assemblage I pulled together last year using pieces I had at hand, including the pine cones, which ties them into my earlier January natural greenery and pine cone theme that I find so restful after the intensity of the red-and-green dazzle of the holiday season.

I can't recall where I got the twig heart basket, but the little red-and-white dotted pin cushion was made for me years ago by my oldest and dearest childhood friend (since first grade and right through to high school graduation). A special little gifts like that is a real friendship keepsake. The red tray was a thrift shop find - it's bright yet not screamingly red, and while is has some minor dents, they just give it that vintage character that's appealing. The blue and white checked pottery bowl with a single red heart came from Pottery Barn, but I think it, too, was a thrift shop find some years ago. Near that is one of a set of Pimpernel coasters with fox hunting scenes and among many that I've also had for years, and they're all sitting on an old vintage army trunk that originally belonged to my dad, so World War II era.  I painted red and white when I was a teenager in the mid-late 1960 to use as "tack" trunk for my horse stuff, long before I ever had a horse, and eventually as a storage piece in my college dorm room, but I've had it in each of my homes ever since. Currently, it's  in my living room holding all of my CDs and cassette tapes and occasionally it serves as a coffee table. I'll always have a place and a use for it.

I haven't opened my Valentine's Day storage box yet, but I'll do that this weekend to mark the arrival of February, and will set out some of my other favorite red and heart-shaped pieces to brighten things up a bit for the month. One new item I picked up yesterday during a quick errand to replenish my supply of nuts and corn kernels for the local wildlife was this nice pair of bright red ceramic soup mugs with plastic covers, just the pair of them, from a local thrift shop. They hold 16 ounces and are immaculate, yet marked at just $1.49 each, but were on sale for a whopping 75 cents each since it was half-off day - what a fun treat enjoy during my annual celebration of the month of hearts, flowers, love and brilliant reds.



These mugs are a great option for a hearty cup of chowder by the fireside, or a for serving of comforting oatmeal in the morning, or a tasty stew to keep warm on these chilly winter evenings. So many options, and while Spring will be here soon enough, we've got the frosty month of February in the meantime endure, so adorn it with your favorite shades of red!  




      

No comments:

Post a Comment