April 7, 2020

Staying Parked as Spring Arrives


My apologies for not posting in March, but, as you all know (unless you were living out of the range of modern communications technology for an extended period) things got very crazy shortly after the month began with the eruption of coronavirus pandemic hitting our shores, and my state, in a very big way. We have been advised or directed or ordered to stay home, avoid people and practice "social distancing" to help stave off further spread of this dreaded virus for which there is no current cure at present. Its symptoms can range from mild and to fatal and it is not to be treated lightly. Protective actions must be taken to avoid contact that could result in contracting the disease and/or contaminating others, particularly those most vulnerable. It's simple good hygiene behaviors and solid public health safety measures and they are essential to practice.


I am thankful to report that I have been careful and, so far, I am fine, as are those I care about deeply, but none of us can be too careful. Masks and eye protection are the order of the day when going out periodically for essentials, as are.staying home except to pick up necessary groceries. I have spoken with friends routinely and, to be honest, staying home is my typical modus operandi for most of the winter season anyway, so it's not that difficult for me to abide by the latest recommendations and dictates involving leaving home. I don't go out unnecessarily in winter - I don't want to - but now, staying put at home is a bit more challenging when the early earmarks of spring have brought the much needed warmer temperatures that beckon one outdoors. I simply go outside onto my patio and into the yard and do some of the tasks of post-winter clean up and bring the garden supplies out - pots and planters placed in the sun for another season of planting and growing the herbs and flowers that are my favorite way to enjoy the spring and summer seasons at home.

So, I'm gearing up for the emergence of spring. The bird (mostly squirrel) feeders have been put away, and the hanging planters have been brought out and will be re-filled with fresh potting soil. The wooden chairs will come back from storage and the hose has been put outside. I even power-sprayed the winter's grime and grunge off the patio, ready for another season of warmth.

Virus self-isolation or not, I'm ready for life to re-emerge in plant form, at least. We'll get there eventually, but, for now, patience and a bit of industriousness to endure the constraints of this most unusual start to spring...

Be safe, stay home, and, if you can, focus on the things you've always wanted to have the time to do at home because that time is now. This, too, shall pass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment