August 4, 2020

Hello, August!

View to east of Atlantic Ocean from north side of Rockport, Massachusetts (c)

Given that 2020 has been an unusual year, to say the least, it's no real surprise that it's already August - the "dog days of summer", as the saying goes. After nearly two months of warmer than usual temperatures, including several heat waves where temperatures hit the 90s routinely, it's finally more typically summer, with warm days (not so scorchingly hot) and less humidity that could be cut with a knife. I'm hoping that we've seen the worst of summer and we can relax and savor these perfect summer days. Even if it's raining, I don't mind. We do need the rain and, for the mos part, my lawn looks reasonably healthy thanks to the rain we seem to get weekly. It's a good thing.

I confess, having endured an unexpected health issue (not COVID, fortunately) that emerged unexpectedly in late May, I am finally feeling like myself again, with the issue now resolved - hopefully never to return. It does take a sudden reminder that one shouldn't take good health for granted. I have to admit that I haven't assumed my health would remain as reliable as always - I do remind myself that I've been very lucky to have avoided major issues over the years and have enjoyed fairly good health, but the moment one's health is compromised, everything seems wildly out of whack. I am glad my issue ultimately was resolved, but it took some doing to get there, so I'll be keeping an eye on my general state of well being to help ensure I remain well, as I really dislike having my good health compromised.

So, now, the first half of summer has passed, so I'm taking full advantage of August, glorious August, to enjoy the summer season to its fullest. I'm attending to my much smaller garden (a casualty of my earlier ill health), and reveling in the warm sunny days and gradually cooler nights to celebrate the best part of summer for the next six weeks before the winds of autumn push us toward the year's next season. Admittedly, early fall is my favorite time of year - the coolere weather and beautiful changing colors, but late summer is second best. Before the stores start loading up on Christmas items. (I heard one local crafts emporium already was breaking out the holiday decor - noooo!) As a teen, I remember being so annoyed that the stores started breaking out the autumn fashions - the woolens and plaids that were unthinkable in early August...Christmas in August is downright heresy!

Enjoy these wonderful weeks of August, as they, too, will be gone before we know it and we'll be wishing it was still June and we could have a do-over!  

No comments:

Post a Comment